The Ethier lab seeks a Post-doctoral Fellow to study retinoscleral signaling in myopia. The pathogenesis of myopia is poorly understood but involves signaling from the retina to the sclera by one or more factors, likely including all-trans retinoic acid. We will mathematically model this signaling process, including transport across the choroid, and carry out tracer studies in post-mortem mouse eyes to obtain model validation datasets. The successful candidate will undertake these studies as part of a collegial and diverse team of research staff, students, and post-docs, working in collaboration with personnel from the laboratory of Dr. Machelle Pardue. This position is funded from a recent NIH R01 grant.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES: The specific job duties include the following:
• Mathematical modeling of transport from the retina to the sclera, including consideration of carrier binding, choroidal vessel exclusion, and active transport across the retinal pigment epithelium
• Assisting with the design and execution of experiments in which the movement of fluorescent tracers is optically tracked across and between different layers of the ocular wall
• Preparing manuscripts and abstracts for scientific meetings.
• Mentoring of graduate and undergraduate students, as appropriate and in conjunction with the lab PI.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
Degrees required for this job: PhD in engineering, biophysics, applied mathematics, or a closely related field.
PREFERRED YEARS OF EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THIS JOB: 0+ after Ph.D.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL QUALIFICATIONS: Strong knowledge of biotransport, including both modeling and experimental aspects. Previous familiarity with the eye would be a major plus. Proven ability to work as part of a diverse team and contribute to a positive lab culture; to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing; and to assist with preparation of grants.
• Significant experience in: Mathematical modeling, microscopy, biotransport
• Knowledge of: ocular anatomy
Interested applicants should send the following items, complied into a single pdf, to firstname.lastname@example.org: (i) a cover letter outlining relevant experience; (ii) the names and contact details of 3 referees; (iii) a complete CV.